Tuesday, April 12

Shakepeare's Motives: Financial?

As I've explored the business side of Shakespeare's writing, I think I've unwittingly implied that because Shakespeare had financial incentives, his work or his motives are somehow devalued and his legacy is less significant.  I don't know that I've ever stated this outright, but I think we naturally associate money with greed and avarice and that may lower our estimation of a particular person.  I've wondered if my pursuit of Shakespeare as a product may draw criticism that I'm undermining the literary value.  As I considered this possibility, I arrived at two basic conclusions:

1) Producing plays was Shakespeare's profession, so there's no doubt that he was interested in the financial success of the plays.

When we think of Shakespeare's legendary stories, we like to think he wasn't just motivated by money.  But the fact that playwriting was his profession makes his interest in earning money inevitable.  He was creating a product, because that was his sustenance.

2) I don't believe that Shakespeare's desire for financial gain lessens the value of his work.

Many people love their jobs, but that doesn't mean that they would prefer not to get paid. With a great profession, it's possible to pursue both personal fulfillment and financial. Although Shakespeare certainly was trying to generate revenue, that doesn't mean that he wasn't fully invested in the quality or content of his writing.