Saturday, January 15

Donde esta la bibiloteca, Pedro?

Just got back from the library, where I spent an hour browsing through the Shakespeare shelves--nonfiction, young adult nonfiction, books on tape, DVDs, juvenile fiction--you name it.  I was willing to try anything that might promote my personal Shakespeare literacy campaign.  Truthfully, I wanted a Shakespeare "craft" book more than anything.  I was really hoping for ideas like how to make quills, how to make a Hamlet costume out of paper grocery bags, suggestions for using fake blood in at-home theatrical performances--that sort of thing.  The closest I came was a Children's book that the library catalog listed as "on order."  Maybe I'll suck it up and buy the book online myself.  In any case, I came home with two DVDs (The Taming of the Shrew and Macbeth, which I hope to watch over the 3-day weekend), a Modern Scholar lecture series of Shakespeare's comedies on CD, and four great books.

I'm mostly excited about the books, so I'll give you a quick rundown of their titles and what I expect from them.


"The premise of this book is simple and direct: Shakespeare makes modern culture and modern culture makes Shakespeare."  Since her premise fit so nicely with my own idea of Shakespeare and the ideas we discussed in class, I had to pick it up.  She seems to use a natural, conversational tone which I appreciate, and it looks like she dissects a handful of the more famous plays and relates them to modern culture.

This one hardly needs an explanation, but I think it will be a nice asset as I try to incorporate elements of bibliography in my posts, and it will most likely help me reach further depths in analyze the works.

Actually, I'm skeptical of anything that uses "Essential" in its title, including the textbook we bought for class.  After all, of course they think it's essential--they wrote the book.  In any case, it had some cool pictures and interesting brief synopses of the plays.

I think this is the book I'm most excited about.  In fact, if you're interested, you can actually download this book for free with Google Reader--just click on the link above.  I've studied Charles Lamb before so this intrigued me, and when I opened it I realized that he (and his sister, Mary) actually took twenty Shakespearean plays and turned them into brief fictional stories.  This is ideal for someone like me who, while reading a play, has thought, "This would be a lot easier if it was a novel rather than a script."  

I'll post again as I begin implementing the books into my Shakespeare Literacy Campaign.